Special Session 88(1) | May 29, 2023 â€“ June 27, 2023
Special Session 88(2) | June 27, 2023 â€“ Present
The first special session has come to an end with no new bills being passed. We are now in the second special session with Property Tax cuts being the only priority.
The Governor has vetoed more than 76 bills this past week, which is the second highest in history! Most of the bills originated in the Senate, adding fuel to his feud with Lt. Gov. Patrick. “At this time, the legislature must concentrate on delivering property tax cuts to Texans,” Abbott said in multiple veto proclamations.
During my June Legislative brief, I highlighted the governorsâ€™ priorities for special sessions moving forward. You can see his list of priorities below.
- End COVID restrictions and mandates
- Provide more than $5.1 billion to secure the border and fund the Texas National Guard, the Texas Department of Public Safety, and the border wall
- Designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations
- Prosecute fentanyl deaths as murder
- Protect womenâ€™s sports and female collegiate athletes
- Focus community colleges on preparing Texas students for high skill careers
- Increase electric power generation to secure the Texas power grid
- Hold rogue district attorneys accountable
- Protect children from life-altering gender mutilation
- Ban illegal DEI hiring practices in our colleges and universities
- Add $1.4 billion to make Texas schools safer
- Require armed security at all schools
- Provide access to mental healthcare for students at all schools
- Require regular safety checks of school buildings
In other news Ken Paxtonâ€™s impeachment trial is set to begin September 5th with his attendance required. The House impeachment managers got most of what they wanted in the trial rules with almost all of the 17 recommendations adopted by the Senate last Wednesday.
Please check out the â€œGrassroots Americaâ€ site below. This is the best all in one site to find how your representative voted and other information. Iâ€™ve also included a poll asking members to rate our 88th Legislative Session.
3rd VICE PRESIDENT CAMPAIGN & LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITIES